Update – 11 Jan 2021
France is out of national lockdown and now under curfew (20:00 to 06:00 in our department, the Savoie). The ski lifts are still closed, but the ski resort is open to visitors. Restaurants and bars are closed, but still allowed to offer take aways or delivery.
The prime minister, Jean Castex, has announced that ski lifts will not open before the end of January 2021, and that he would make a fresh announcement on 20th January, having looked at Covid-19 cases.
We’ll keep you posted as soon as we hear any more news!
Update – 11 Dec 2020
France will be coming out of lockdown on 15th December and guests will be able to travel around the country. There will be a curfew in place from 20:00 to 6:00am apart from Christmas Eve 24th December.
Our ski resort of La Plagne will open on 19th December to welcome visitors. However, the ski lifts will remain closed – the date of opening might be 7th January 2021 (to be confirmed).
If you fancy coming out for a winter holiday over the Christmas and New Year holidays anyway, the good news is that our chalets are available to rent and Montchavin Les Coches is a magical place to be, relax, get some fresh mountain air and take in the spectacular views. So even if you are not getting your usual fix of downhill skiing, you could be spending your hard-earned holiday in a winter wonderland (and sipping a glass of bubbly in the hot tub!)
Here’s a list of what you can (and can’t) do! These will be updated regularly, so keep checking this page.
- Walking routes will be marked and open
- Ski touring will be allowed but the marked routes will be closed
- Sledging will be allowed in Montchavin Les Coches
- The ice rink in Les Coches will be open and free to use
- The tourist offices will be open, so you can check what’s going on each day
- Many outdoor attractions and events will still be open with social distancing and masks (e.g. Father Christmas visiting Montchavin Les Coches)
- The cinema should be open (social distancing will obviously apply)
- Bakery, pharmacy and the shops will be open
- Ski lifts will be shut until January – date TBC, maybe 7th January
- The cinema
- Bars and restaurants will be closed until 20th January – many will be able to offer take-aways
- Espace Paradisio, the swimming pool and spa complex – opening date TBC
- NY fireworks display (large mass gatherings of people are not allowed)